Sunday, September 23, 2007

The New Generation

I don't have any students to relate this to but I will do my best to best relate this to my field. First of all, I was born in 1982 and I am considered part of this generation. For me, I don't really consider myself wholly in this generation. I feel personally I am 50/50 with this generation and with that of the Generation X. I remembered using the Apple IIe's in 3rd grade but it wasn't until 7-8th grade until I really fully using technology in school and it wasn't till I was in 11th or 12th grade before technology was integrated in my daily life: i.e. cell phones, instant messaging, blogs, PDA's, etc.

I thought the Howe and Strauss was a bit optimistic with this current generation. I am a realist personally but it is good that they are trying to be optimistic in their approach, but I feel they are not quite getting it correct with their generalizations. I don't think this current generation is much different with working in teams. The one thing that comes to my mind lately was the ad's the army was using a few years back: an army of one. Another thing in their article was that they described this current generation as being doers and not just talkers. I really don't see very much with this generation. With as much as been happening in this country, with the Iraq war, immigration reform, legislation such as wiretapping and No Child Left Behind, what is this generation doing to be heard on issues that affect each of us in this country? For me, I feel this generation is sitting back and just going with the flow rather than questioning and being heard and just focusing on themselves.

I liked the section in Reeves and Oh talking about students entering college not being ready for college. Students these days are feeling that it is require that they go right to college when they are finished with high school, but I don't feel that everyone needs to enter college. When I entered college in 2000, I was surprised to see how many students had undecided majors and were still undecided after two years in college. I also saw many others in preparatory classes the first year of college just getting ready to pursue a degree in college. Also, it is surprising to see how few college graduates actually get a job relating to their degrees. Most of my friends have jobs outside of their degrees but I do feel that college does help people with professional skills.

I really liked the Marc Prensky article. This was really the first time I have read something quite like this. It really got me thinking that we need to really get our school teachers and staff on board with technology and different approaches to reach students. Just look at the commercials dealing with text (txt) messaging (msgs) where a grandmother is using abbreviations bff (best friend forever) Jill or whatever name. Times are changing and we need to work with this change. The one thing that has really bugged me the past few years are the technology standards Michigan has for students and I know that quite a few of our staff wouldn't be proficient in K-8 technology standards. How is it that we expect students to be proficient with technology when our staff isn't? If we don't start bridging the gap, as this book refers to as the digital natives and the digital immigrants, than how will things look in 10 - 15 years out from now? Will we slow students down by not adapting or will students not be as creative due to a language and learning gap?

In the end, I hope Reeves and Oh has it correct. It will be great to see a generation that does rather then talks and a generation we can really look to for advancing society and also learn from the previous generations about being better examples and role models. No matter what way we look at this, Digital Natives are the future generation that is slowly replacing the previous generations in this country and it should be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming years.

3 comments:

Diane Labut said...

You bring out one of the best points I've seen so far. It is an excellent point that in spite of the Howe and Strauss optimism, the students are sitting back and letting things flow around them and with them instead of becoming part of issues that affect them so much. As someone who staged a sit-in in junior high for the right to wear pants to school, I also feel there is a major lack of voice towards their future. Could they be just to busy with all the tech toys to notice?

MKB said...

Nicholas,

One of the other main points brought out by Reeves and Oh is that the only thing that we credibly know (i.e., based upon reliable research) about this next generation is that they have a greater sense of entitlement than previous generations. What has been your experience with that?

MKB

Teresa said...

Hi Nicholas,

I feel the same way as you. I was born in 1980 and feel like I am right on the edge of gen x and a millenial as are many of my friends and colleagues in the same age group. I also totally agree with you about the potential implications of not bridging the gap between the digital natives and the digital immigrants. I feel that we are and will continue to lose children and "leave them behind" if we continue to "teach" them the way we have for years.